Reading: How Paragraphs Are Put Together
It’s time to examine how a paragraph is put together. Look at
what you will be reading. Now, read the first paragraph.
- Choose the most important sentence in
this paragraph. You can choose only one!
- The most important sentence in a paragraph is called the topic
sentence. The topic sentence tells you what the rest of the paragraph
is about (overview).
- Hint: The topic sentence is often found at the beginning of the paragraph.
- Look at rest of the paragraph and find a detail.
A detail is a small thing that tells you something more about the topic.
Details are likely to be located in the middle of the paragraph.
- The middle of the paragraph is the place where details are added
to the paragraph topic.
- Choose the concluding sentence (result)
of the paragraph.
- The concluding sentence is what the topic and details build up to.
The concluding sentence often sums up the paragraph.
- Hint: The concluding sentence is often located at the end of the
- Sometimes the concluding sentence will give you an idea about what
the next paragraph will be about
Understanding how a paragraph is put together will improve your reading